How to take care of your skin in winter?
Children First Newspaper spoke to Dr. Rohit Batra, one of the finest dermatologists in India, about how you could keep your skin healthy during winter. Dr. Batra is currently working as a Consultant Dermatologist at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi. He has received many prestigious awards for his remarkable work in the field of dermatology. Dr. Batra has shared some useful tips which you could follow on daily basis to keep your skin healthy…
Skin is the largest organ of our body and requires constant attention and care. Cold temperatures of winter especially in the northern states of India can make our skin dry and flaky. In extreme cases, they can even result in various conditions such as eczema, cracked heels, dandruff, etc. Following a regular self-care regime and taking a few precautions can go a long way in preventing such conditions and maintaining a healthy skin.
1. A simple way to avoid dryness is to apply a thin layer of coconut oil about 5 minutes before taking a bath. This will prevent our natural body oils from being washed off while bathing. Use a moisturising body wash or soap to avoid dryness that usually occurs from antiseptic and medicated soaps. Use a good moisturising lotion after drying your body post bathing. The moisturiser forms a protective layer on the skin’s surface and prevents damage due to cold winds.
2. Apply a thin layer of Vaseline petroleum jelly before moving out and at bedtime to prevent chapping of lips.
3. For taking care of your heels, apply a cream containing urea and lactic acid after bathing and at bed time to prevent cracked heels and dryness and peeling of foot skin. You can also wear canvas shoes at home to prevent damage to the foot skin.
4. Wash your hair regularly during winters else there could be a collection of body oils, dirt and fungal elements on your scalp giving rise to dandruff. Wash scalp at least thrice a week and avoid applying hair oil. If you have long hair you can use a good conditioner on the length of your hair for taking care of dryness post-shampooing.
5. Diet forms a very important part towards getting a beautiful skin. Eat food rich in omega fatty acids and vitamins (especially A, D, E and C). These are essential to keep your skin soft, smooth and glowing. A balanced diet with few small portions of dry fruits, green leafy vegetables and fruits should be taken regularly to avoid skin ailments.